Thursday 7 March 2013

Cosplay debut! And before that...

What is up, peeps?!

This is a special update of how cosplay has become part of my recent hobby. N.E. Project did make an interview for me about cosplay and I did mention briefly about my cosplay debut on my first post. But, it wouldn't hurt if I post it again. Cos, I LOVE REPETITIONS! MUAHAHAHA! Jokes...

Here it goes...

To be honest, all of this did not immediately happen during the 2012 EACon itself.

I first discovered the cosplay community back in the 2008 deviantMEET. But, back then, I couldn't care much about cosplay because of various reasons:-


  • I'd always thought it was a waste of time and money
  • In my honest opinion, it was more of an attention seeking type
  • I had no time to make a research of what cosplay really was and why people were so addicted to it
  • I had personal issues
  • I just simply hated people who dressed up as someone else
Yep! I hated myself back then. If I could turn back time, I could literally punch the past version of me. And, you are welcomed to punch the past me too. I don't mind at all :)

As years had passed, I'd beginning to have a little interest about cosplay. I did a little bit of research about what cosplay really was through television media and internet. And, I was like, they really loved dressing up as some characters they loved and how they lived up their characters with their own creativity. But, I wasn't really motivated as I was just lazying around and did most of the useless things.

As I heard the news that the 2012 EACon would be held from 15 - 16 December, this is where the real story begins. Because deep down inside my heart, I really wanted to cosplay as someone. But, I didn't know who was I going to cosplay as.

So, I had made a little bit of research from the internet. I kept on searching until I discovered this one particular character that no one had ever cosplayed as before, which is the mythical creature and urban legend called Slenderman.

The reasons why I chose Slenderman as my first cosplay are simple!

  • The character itself only uses a suit and a black/red-tie
  • The materials needed to develop such a character only costs me about the range of $100 - $150, excluding the suit as I have already owned it years ago.
There it went! I had officially created a Slenderman costume! But, upon entering the event which was held at Kiulap Plaza Hotel, I nearly did not wear my costume. I did wear my formal suit, though. I just did not wear my mask. Mainly, it's because I could barely see anything from the inside especially on the long distance and when there's too much lighting. And, it was my cosplay debut and I was very nervous. I was all alone too, mind you.

Then, a group of people approached to me, who happened to be huge fans of Slenderman. And, they immediately recognised who I cosplayed as even though I did not wear the mask. Well, you know how it goes when fanboys go wild.

Since then, my confidence built up and I finally got the feeling and understand how it was like to cosplay as the character that I really enjoyed cosplaying as. Plus, I've garnered a lot of friends on the event itself. It was the happiest moment of my entire life. I would also have to say thank you to the Almighty Himself for making this happen. Without his help and guidance, I'd still be stuck in the past and would always be "forever alone."

Slenderman has become a trademark in a cosplay community the other cosplayers have decided to call me Slenderman, or Slendy by short. No matter who I cosplay as, they will always call me Slenderman, which I don't mind at all. :)

During the 2012 EACon,
*pictures credited to all photographers, especially Khal and ScarySoul (N.E. Project)

 Sorry Angelus (Hawkeye), I just had to ruin your performance =)

The rest of the cosplayers

 They are among the first of new friends, Viven and Aisyah


 My best friend ;)



During Times Square New Year Festival,


 Abu, one of the B-cos admins. Sorry, Slendy was hungry...

 The host of the festival, who apparently just discovered who Slenderman is ;)

I stole the show

During the competition at Airport Mall (which did not happen at all),

 The poke queen. She just can't stop poking. And, so can't Slendy :D


So, that's about it! I'll be seeing you guys on the 24th March Japan Festival and I will not be cosplaying as Slenderman. Poor Slendy needs to rest for a while. He'll be back, don't worry. For now, I will be taking the "red pill", if you catch my drift. ;)

Get the hint who I will be cosplaying as next? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment